The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi
Cool Spring PTA – Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Cool Spring PTA?
The Cool Spring PTA is an organization of parent volunteers that work with the school staff to provide programs and activities that benefit our children, the staff, and the school. The PTA is a non-profit business. The proceeds from all events and fundraisers go directly to benefit the school and its students!
How does the PTA support the school, staff and students?
- Provides teachers with classroom supplies such as books, rugs, computer supplies, and Penguin Planners.
- Sponsors fun-filled popular family events such as Fall Festival, Bingo, and Spirit Nights.
- Provides funding assistance for special projects such as SmartBoards and the Outdoor Classrooms.
- Sponsors informative and educational speakers for parents on such topics as managing discipline, Internet safety, etc.
What events, activities and services for parents does the PTA sponsor?
The PTA sponsors and in most cases manages all of the following school programs:
After-school Enrichment Program (3 sessions per year)
Academic Challenges (Word Masters, Continental Math League)
Odyssey of the Mind
Friend Finder (student directory)
School Supply Kits
What fundraisers does the PTA participate in?
The PTA generally holds one major fundraiser at the beginning of the school year. Other minor fundraising events/programs include Chuck-E-Cheese night, Box Tops, and various restaurant nights. Please note the distinction between these fundraisers and the events/services listed above on which the PTA breaks even or fully funds.
What’s new for the 2012-2013 school year?
The PTA board has dramatically reduced in size this year. There are two new faces on the board: Barbara Adgate is our new Secretary and Colleen Hondel is our new VP of Fundraising. We are looking forward to have a smaller student body and closer school, overall. We will be including our new events from last year to include Donuts with Dads and Muffins with Moms (renamed Mornings with Moms). We will also have a dance this year, as well as a scrapbooking day in February. Our fundraiser is a big surprise and will be revealed the 2nd week of school. Stay tuned for more updates and events!
Becoming involved in the PTA can be extremely rewarding. You are involved in your child’s education, and studies show that children perform better in school when their parents are involved. In addition, you meet other parents, share your opinions and concerns, and stay informed on what is happening at Cool Spring.
The main reason you should join is so that your children can continue to benefit from the many events, activities and services the PTA provides. We need YOUR help to keep making these things happen!
You don’t have to make a huge commitment. You can volunteer when it fits into your schedule. Whether it’s an hour a month, or a few hours a week, you can help make a difference. Here’s how:
- Become a PTA member – your dues help support our programs and activities
- Participate in fundraising events.
- Volunteer to help with one of the events or programs that we offer. We challenge everyone to volunteer one hour this year!
- Submit your ideas for new programs, speakers, clubs or enrichment classes.
- Attend PTA meetings (we’ll be brief!), join the PTA mailing list, join the Cool Spring PTA facebook page (adults only), and please read the PTA newsletters!
I have preschool/infant children. Can I bring them with me?
You are always welcome to bring your children with you when volunteering for PTA or attending PTA meetings. Many people do! With that said, however, we do ask that you please be considerate of the students and staff and remove a child that is disrupting the learning environment.
I’d like to get involved, but I don’t know where to begin.
That’s easy! You can begin by contacting anyone on the PTA Board (contact info is on the website) or attending any of the PTA meetings during the year. Check the calendar, newsletter, or facebook page for dates and times. We look forward to seeing you there!
Alana Downer, 2012-2013 PTA President